1926. The newly completed school buildings stand in open space in front of a stand of large gum trees and a view of the hills. This is possibly the opening day of the school as there appears to be both parents and children attending, wearing their 'Sunday best' clothes. In the foreground some children play on builder's rubble. State Library of South Australia

Colonel Light Gardens Primary School was opened in 1926.  It was built on the site of the Mitcham Camp, an extensive World War 1 training ground that extended through the majority of present-day Colonel Light Gardens.

Additional resources

In 2015 CLGPS produced a film called “Our World War 1: remembering Mitcham Camp” which commemorated WW1 and the Mitcham Camp; see the project blog which includes many resources and photographs.

Colonel Light Gardens Historical Society has lots of links and photos including photos of our school in its early days.

Australian Heritage Register information on CLG.

City of Mitcham information about CLG, as well as a good chronological history produced by the Mitcham History Centre.

A Flinders University student film about the planning of CLG and a WW2 story.